AOE 2 is a legendary strategy game of my childhood. For a rainy evening still a nice idea how to spend some time with your friends remotely. However, AOE2:DE only runs on Windows and not on Macs. So, what to do owning only a M1 Mac?
Use Crossover and enjoy the game without restriction and at great performance.
A great guide from Reddit explains how to make it running. Here an edited version of it:
- Install Crossover.
- Within Crossover, install the steam bottle.
- Open the just installed windows version of Steam. Log-in, download, and install AOE2:DE.
- Within Crossover, install into the “Steam Bottle”:
- “DirectX for Modern Games”
- Enable DXVK by right clicking on the bottle: Settings > DXVK backend
- Download “UCRTLBASE” here. (Skip step 7)
You have to get a alternative ucrtbase.dll: Install Homebrew: /bin/bash -c “$(curl -fsSL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Homebrew/install/master/install.sh)” install xcode: xcode-select –install install cabextract: brew install cabextract download: https://aka.ms/vs/16/release/vc_redist.x64.exe move terminal to your desktop: cd ~/Desktop Create a new folder: mkdir ucrtbase move into ucrtbase: cd ucrtbase use cabextract to extract the file: write cabextract into the terminal press space and drag and drop the downloaded vc_redist file into the terminal window, press enter use command: cabextract a10 UCRTbase.dll should be in the created folder
- Put this UCRTBASE in the C:/Windows/System32 folder overwrite the current file (open C: drive by right clicking on the name of the bottle and selecting that option)
- Go to: Wine configuration -> Libraries.
- Set “concrt140.dll” to native,builtin
- Set “ucrtbase” to native,builtin
- Set AOE2:DE launch parameter “SKIPINTRO”